Thursday, March 27, 2014

Kofta Burgers and Greek Potatoes

 
The Plan

Jenn and I ate at the Mediterranean Cafe in Lexington and I had the Kofta dish, and I couldn't stand that Jenn couldn't have any due to her lack of eating mammals. I decided then that I had to adapt a recipe with ground turkey for her, but I couldn't just leave it at turkey Kofta, I wanted to make a burger. I scoured the interwebs in search of something similar to my idea - a burger on flat bread or pita, maybe even a pita pocket. To no real avail. I decided that I wanted to make my own Tzataziki Sauce, Hummus, Oliveda, and instead of lettuce - shredded grape leaves.

Turkey Kofta

2 lbs Ground Turkey
2 Tablespoons Coriander
2 tablespoons Cumin
2 tablespoons Turmeric
2 tablespoons Allspice
2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Ginger
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Fresh Diced Parsley
1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs

Mix all ingredients together working everything together in a large bowl. Cover and allow to sit refrigerated for thirty minutes. When ready pat meat into 4 ounce thin patties (for my purposes, I used a George Foreman grill, and it only took around 4 minutes or so for them to cook). Makes eight 4 oz. servings.

Tzataziki Sauce

2 cups plain Greek Yogurt
1 cucumber seeds removed and diced
1/4 cup minced dill
1/4 minced mint
1/4 cup lemon juice

Really good, and really simple sauce. Basically, cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds with a spoon and dice it into small centimeter sized cubes, and then mix all ingredients together.

Oliveda

1/2 cup pitted Kalamata Olives minced and strained
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 dash olive oil

Dice the olives finely and strain off any additional juice with a sieve or pat dry with a paper towel and combine other ingredients.

Greek Potatoes

3 large Russet potatoes diced
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons of paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Rinse and dice the potatoes, mix all ingredients together making sure to coat potatoes with oil and consistently with paprika, bake at 350 degrees until tender.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment