Monday, November 18, 2013

Garlic Bread Soup??



My Caprese Panini and Soup

As I'm sure everyone can tell - I have a special place in my heart for the caprese salad, and thus I try to find anyway to eat it... every day. So I made a half caprese sandwich on sourdough with fresh basil and mozarella and balsamic reduction and grilled it on the George Foreman which makes a suitable substitute for a panini press. For Jenn's sandwich I made a slight variation by just using pesto, mozarello, and tomato.

 Jenn's Pesto Panini and Soup
 
 

Now what about Garlic Bread Soup?

I was a bit skeptical at first of any sort of "bread" soup, but we found this recipe on the Pinterest so we decided to give it a try. Recipe is as follows:


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 10 large garlic cloves, mashed to a paste with 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 2 slices of sourdough loaf, cubed
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • Flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish

Directions

  1. Step 1

    Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic paste; cook, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant but not browned, about 10 minutes.
  2. Step 2

    Add bread, and stir to coat. Stir in stock and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
  3. Step 3

    Discard bay leaves. Stir in eggs to cook, stirring occasionally to break up eggs, about 10 minutes. Serve soup garnished with parsley leaves.
*www.marthastewart.com/317876/garlic-bread-soup?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/garlic-recipes#slide_20  -with adjustments for our personal taste.*

And there you have it.

It turned out fantastic, I had my doubts. The best comparison I can really come to is Egg Drop Soup, but more starchy and a heavy overtone of garlic. Which works out well for both of us as we're avid over users of garlic.

Was listening this today while I was whipping up lunch, hope you all enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment